Just when everything was going so well.

I’m pretty good at smacking my spongy ball out of the air when Mom tosses it to me, but apparently I can’t catch “a break”.

Just as we are getting my allergy issues under control I started having peeing issues. Friday after work, mom realized I had been doing lots of tiny little pees instead of my usual 3 times per day pee balls. Our regular vet doesn’t have weekend hours but Mom didn’t want to wait until Monday to take me in, just in case I have an infection or something that could get much worse.

After calling several vets, she managed to get an appointment at a 24 hour vet hospital (avoiding the $150 emergency walk-in fee). It is a gold-level “Cat Friendly Practice” certified by the American Association of Feline Practitioners, but I didn’t agree.

Sure, I got my own little waiting area, but that didn’t prevent me from being scared by the extremely energetic, barking, whining, growling (I’m not exaggerating) dog beasts that were on the other side of the waiting room. My Golden Retriever brother Bentley never made as much noise in his entire life as those dogs made in 30 minutes! It was so bad that Mom was about to ask if we could be moved to an exam room to wait.

I got my own room, but even though I had an appointment, I had to wait another 20+ minutes for the vet, who apologized and said she was dealing with an emergency. Ok, that happens but I would have thought the vets with appointments are not the same as vets who are taking emergencies, but obviously I was wrong, or they needed all hands on deck. Whatever, we finally had the vet’s attention. After the vet examined me and said I probably have Feline Idopathic Cystitis I had to wait again for the diagnostic/treatment estimate, even though Mom had already told the vet what she wanted to do – no tests, just sub-q fluids, pain med injection, and “anti spasm” medication to calm my bladder.

I had to wait again before the tech came to give me fluids, and Mom only allowed her to take me after the vet tech assured her that it would take less than 15 minutes and I would be kept in a quiet treatment area away from any noisy dogs.

Mom & Dad are very protective of me because I become stressed at the vet, especially if it’s noisy. If I get too stressed, I will have an episode of  upper respiratory virus issues (sneezy snotties) a few days after the vet visit and I’ll be sicker than when I went in!

After all was said and done, it took 1.5 hours for a simple exam and sub-q fluids! I managed to survive, but since Mom declined any diagnostics, Mom will call my regular vet Monday morning for an appointment.

You may be wondering why Mom declined the diagnostics but it was a matter of practicality and keeping me from too much stress. We had taken in a tiny urine sample that the vet saw was clear, so she did not suspect an infection. And they would not get urinalysis results back until Monday, which is when I can probably see my regular vet and have him do a complete work-up with the tests he thinks are necessary for a diagnosis and treatment plan.   Everything at this place was taking so long and it was so noisy that Mom & Dad did not want me staying there any longer than necessary.

After a stressful outing, I’m home, with a big lump of fluids on my side and a brain full of anti-pain loopy meds. Mom has to give me the anti-spasm medication and I hope it doesn’t taste disgusting.   Oh…snickerdoodles! Mom just called the vet and this medication has chicken flavoring so I can’t take it (and we said I have fish & chicken allergies). We’ll wait to see what my regular vet recommends.

I hope you all had a much more relaxing Caturday than I did. I’m sure my Easy Sunday will be much better, even though it’s stormy here and I have No sunpuddles.

About Indulgedfurries

Lover of Cats, Golden Retrievers, Vetmed, Bio/Eco-Conservation, Science.
This entry was posted in Health. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Just when everything was going so well.

  1. We’re sorry you had such a bad experience at that vet, Raven. We hope you feel better and your pee issue is not anything serious.

    • Raven says:

      Thanks,It’s gotten MUCH better because I’m completely loopy on the pain medication they gave me. This is a pretty good trip! Too bad you need a licensed “dealer” to get it.

  2. Raven says:

    It’s snowing rainbows. They taste sparkly.

  3. Summer says:

    I’m sorry you had to go through all of this, Raven! At least you got pain meds, and the fluids. I’m sending purrs for you to get past this very soon!

    • Raven says:

      Thanks. The fluids make me sloshy. I’m like a weeble. I wobble but I don’t fall down. The rainbows hold me up.

  4. kapitola says:

    man- what a yucky experience. Vet’s sometimes forget how stressful a visit can be BOTH for the pet and the human. I think you did the right thing by not sticking around! I wonder if it would be worth you writing an email to complain or something? Or just better to forget the whole thing? I really hope all is better by Monday.

    • Raven says:

      The vet was very competent and they called to refund the cost of the medication Raven can’t take due to her allergies. They just needed to work on their patient flow today.

  5. Grace says:

    Well this just bites, doesn’t it?

  6. pilch92 says:

    Poor Raven, that sounds like an awful way to spend the day. I am glad your folks are so protective of you though and tried to ease your stress. I will be praying you feel better soon. XO

  7. BZ Dogs says:

    Oh dear! Sounds dreadful 😦 Hopefully your regular vet fixes you up quickly and gets your sprinkler back in order.

    • Raven says:

      Tee hee. We call it my tinkle tank. You boys are just like my brother Bentley. I bet I’d love you as much as I loved him. Do you love kitties?

  8. Raven says:

    I’ve been awake since my vet appointment. The rainbows are chasing me.

  9. Gattina says:

    Poor you ! That’s why I avoid as much as I can to go to the vet because my cats get so stressed, except Arthur, he looks out of the window and at the vet he nags the dogs ! But once I also had enough of a vet, not only my poor cat was stressed because of the waiting room, but then this guy started to shout at her ! I took my cat and left and suggested that he better should treat horses and cows or even elephants !

    • Raven says:

      That vet’s behavior is completely unacceptable and I’m glad you not only walked out, but told him why. We had a vet stick one of cat’s head next to a faucet of running water to try to get him to stop purring (so he could better listen to his heart). I never went back to him.

      Raven here – I can ask the dark rainbows to chase that nasty vet.

  10. Jan K says:

    We’re sorry to hear this, Raven, what a stressful time for all of you! We hope those pain meds that are making you so loopy are also erasing the memories of that stressful visit!
    It will be better when you go to your own vet, and hopefully they will get you feeling even better.
    That is why we like that our own vet is also our emergency vet, the crew hates going to strange places too.

    • Raven says:

      What vet?

      Mom here – I wish my vet had Saturday hours but I understand he needs a life outside of work. I did try to page him for advice before I took Raven to another vet, but he didn’t respond (or I didn’t call the pager properly)

  11. Brian says:

    Oh dear, I know all about those pee problems. I know your regular Vet will help you so try not to stress Raven, purrs from all of us.

    • Raven says:

      I thought about you, and I’m glad your pee wars are over. Do you still take medications? I bet they’re not as fun as the ones I got. Maybe I can slide on my rainbow to your place for a visit.

  12. We send purrs you will feel OK until you can get to your own Vet.
    For now, enjoy the pain meds 😉
    Purrs Georgia,Julie and JJ

    • Raven says:

      Sparkly rainbow bliss. But I am getting a bit tired of pacing around the house. This place seems pretty small when you’ve walked it 7,254 times in one night.

  13. Oh Raven, what a frusterating experience. At least you got the pain meds and fluids to get you through the weekend. Paws and fingers crossed for you visit with your regular vet.
    Marty and the Gang

  14. kittiesblue says:

    Wow what a day. It doesn’t sound much like a gold level Cat Friendly vet to us. We have our very own separate waiting room. The woofies can get super noisy and out of control in the next room, which drives Mom more bonkers than us. We hope you can see your own vet on Monday and get the proper treatment to be all better really soon. Sending lots of prayers. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Angel Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

  15. We’re so sorry you had to go through this, Raven. We hope you feel better and have notthing serious. We send you tons of purrs. Purrs

  16. Mary McNeil says:

    Purrayers and POTP that you will get better quickly ! I am sorry about your stressful vet visit. Sometimes I have been the emergency patient , so I can’t comment about that.

  17. CATachresis says:

    Raven, sweetie, I’ve had that too!! But it happened at the right time to get to the vet straight away and no waiting! I’m so sorry you had that trauma!! Sending gentle purrs x0x0x

  18. Annie says:

    Raven, while I’m glad you got some pain medication and fluids, I’m sorry you needed them! We’ll look for your post about what your regular vet says. I guess 24-hour vets are just really busy. That vet visit sounds pretty stressful.

  19. You poor baby! We’re purring for you…

  20. Raven, your poor thing!

We enjoy getting comments.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.